“Since hunger is the most primitive and permanent of human wants, men always want to eat, but since their wish not to be a mere animal is also profound, they have always attended with special care to the manners which conceal the fact that at the table we are animals feeding.” - John Erskine

10 September 2011

Spinach and Caesar Pasta Salad


Can I just say, I am so glad I decided to do this project (trying out all my untried recipes).  So far I’ve had (mostly) great reviews from the family and it’s been so much easier to get myself to cook.

I love pasta salad.  However, if you haven’t noticed by now, I’m a little picky.  So many people seem to think pasta salad should include things like onions, peppers, nuts, and even (YIKES) fruit.  All things which make eating pasta salad a difficult thing for me.  I have a recipe that I absolutely love but lately I find that Im the only one eating it.  The first few times I took it to extended family at gatherings everyone complemented me on it, but lately Ive noticed other family members bringing different variations.  Guess everyones getting tired of it.  So I decided to branch out and try something new.

Spinach and Caesar Pasta Salad
serves 8
1 box Suddenly Salad Caesar pasta salad mix
12 ounces turkey bacon, cooked and cut into small pieces
10 ounces washed fresh baby spinach leaves
8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
5 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
¼ cup sugar
1/3 cup ketchup
¼ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon water

Empty pasta mix into 3-quart saucepan 2/3 full of boiling water.  Gently boil uncovered 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Drain pasta; rinse with cold water.  Shake to drain well.

In large bowl, gently toss together pasta, bacon, spinach, mushrooms and eggs.  In small bowl, stir together Seasoning and Crouton Blend, sugar, ketchup, vinegar, oil and water.  Just before serving, gently toss salad ingredients with seasoning mixture.  Serve immediately.

I have to say, when I first read through the recipe I didn’t notice the ketchup.  Who puts ketchup in pasta salad?!?  Ew.  But I decided to add it (or at least some of it).  I got myself into a bit of a quagmire following this recipe since I needed to double it (yes, I realize there are only 5 people in my family and this recipe serves 8, but I live with a bunch of animals, remember?  I really thought I should double it, and as it turned out, Im very glad I did) and I only had 1 box of Suddenly Salad and only 10 ounces of spinach.  Since I made so many changes, I decided it might be easier if I just print my version too.  So here it is.

Spinach and Caesar Pasta Salad ~ M’s version
serves 16 (or a male dominated household of 5)
1 box Suddenly Salad Caesar pasta salad mix
6.5 ounces rotini pasta
½ cup bacon bits
10 ounces washed fresh baby spinach leaves
8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
5 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
¼ cup sugar
1 packet dry Italian dressing mix
2 teaspoons dry ranch dressing mix
1/3 cup ketchup
½ cup cider vinegar
½ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons water

Empty pasta mix and noodles into a large saucepan 2/3 full of boiling water.  Gently boil uncovered 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Drain pasta; rinse with cold water.  Shake to drain well.

In a very large bowl, gently toss together pasta, bacon, spinach, mushrooms and eggs.  In small bowl, stir together Suddenly Salad seasoning blend, dressing mixes, sugar, ketchup, vinegar, oil and water.  Just before serving, gently toss salad ingredients with seasoning mixture.  Serve immediately.

I found that the large bowl I pulled out ~ my largest salad/mixing bowl mind you ~ was barely large enough to hold all the salad and allow me to mix in the dressing, so be sure if you use my doubled up recipe to use a “very” large bowl.  Notice that I only used half the ketchup and sugar.  Even doing that the dressing tasted very sweet to me.  (I’m a huge fan of sweets, but of not of sweet dressings.  How weird am I?)  I only used half the spinach I should have, but still felt that the spinach to pasta ratio was a bit high.  And next time I’m going to boil eggs ahead of time too.  My microwave egg cooker only boils 4 at a time so we were a bit short on eggs.  I don’t think anyone but me even knew they were in there.

In spite of all the changes to the original, I got rave reviews from the whole fam.  Everyone ate what was on their plates, then continued to pick at what was left in the bowl for the rest of the night until it was gone.  (I went to put it away several times and someone would grab it from me and dig in again.  Good thing we all share germs I guess.)  Definitely a recipe to try for the next big family gathering.
 Yes, Im using my fancy paper plates again.  Hey, nothing wrong with eating pasta salad on a paper plate is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment