“Since hunger is the most primitive and permanent of human wants, men always want to eat, but since their wish not to be a mere animal is also profound, they have always attended with special care to the manners which conceal the fact that at the table we are animals feeding.” - John Erskine

27 October 2011

giant molasses cookies

We were booed the other night.  Have you ever been booed?  (If not, click here to check it out.)  It’s a great tradition and the kids really have fun with it (although sometimes I’m fairly certain I the kids could do without the extra Halloween-time treats).  Oldest was skulking through the neighborhood in his jammies last night trying to find a ghostless house, sneaking around with his flashlight and almost getting caught in the neighbors’ driveway.  I think the kids actually enjoy the booing better than being booed.

My point?  That I am very grateful I found this delicious-sounding recipe in my mom’s Taste of Home magazine and had time to try it out evening before we were booed.  How lucky was I (more to the point, how lucky were the neighbors we booed) that I actually had a treat on hand to give away?  (Not to mention that there were plenty of cookies left over that we could share.)  That never happens!  And even more to the point, how lucky was I that the neighbors helped us eat these cookies so I didn’t end up stuffing them all in my face eating more than I should.  Yep, they’re that good.

Giant Molasses Cookies
makes 24 giant or 36 regular-sized cookies
1½ cups butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
½ cup molasses
4½ cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup chopped pecans
¾ cup coarse sugar

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs and molasses.  Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.  Fold in pecans.

Shape into 2-inch balls and roll in coarse sugar.  Place 2½ inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.  Bake at 400° for 16-18 minutes or until tops are cracked.  Remove to wire racks to cool.

The magazine article I took this recipe from talked about how great they were for sending to the troops overseas, since they hold up well during shipping.  So I want to challenge you to bake a batch to send to a soldier.  If you don’t know any soldiers currently serving, you can adopt a soldier from Soldier’sAngels, a non-profit organization that works to find “families” for soldiers who may not have anyone waiting for them at home.  A great way to get your kids involved in helping someone else this coming holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment