“Since hunger is the most primitive and permanent of human wants, men always want to eat, but since their wish not to be a mere animal is also profound, they have always attended with special care to the manners which conceal the fact that at the table we are animals feeding.” - John Erskine

12 November 2011

whole grain waffle mix


I don’t know about how school day mornings work in your family, but they’re pretty crazy in mine.  Anything I can find to help them go more smoothly is always received with gratitude.  I am totally into whole grains and NO sugar for breakfast on school days.  They need something that keeps their bellies full and their brains on track.  But sometimes I think their accusing me of being the breakfast Nazi (NO sugar for you!) behind my back.  What can I say?  They want Pop Tarts and cinnamon rolls and Lucky Charms and I feed them whole grain toast with sugar-free jam and oatmeal and Raisin Bran.  I used to buy Eggo’s (the whole-grain kind) and even those Jimmy Dean egg biscuit sandwich things (they actually prefer the croissant variety) but with three of them in school now, that’s just way too expensive.  I tried making my own egg muffin sandwiches, but they are too time-consuming on crazy mornings, and the little animals didn’t like the homemade ones as well anyway.  (Go figure.)  But the homemade Eggo’s work just fine.  I’ve found that I can cook up pretty much any kind of waffles and freeze them and they pop into the toaster just fine.  This recipe is one of our favorites.  It has the added bonus of being a make-ahead mix.  I love giving mixes to friends and neighbors at Christmas time.  If using this one, just be sure to let them know to refrigerate it to keep the buttermilk powder fresh.

Whole Grain Waffle Mix
makes 8½ cups mix
4 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup toasted wheat germ
1 cup toasted oat bran
1 cup buttermilk blend powder
3 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs
1 cup water
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons honey

In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients.  Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.

To prepare waffles: Place 2 cups waffle mix in a bowl.  Combine the eggs, water, oil and honey; stir into waffle mix just until moistened.  Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.

When giving the mix as a gift I add these instructions: To prepare waffles: Place 2 cups waffle mix in a bowl.  Combine 2 eggs, 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons canola oil and 2 tablespoons honey; stir into waffle mix just until moistened.  Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown 

For the buttermilk powder, I use this.  Found in the grocery store aisle near the regular powdered milk.  It doesn’t need to be refrigerated until opened, but since you have to open it to make the mix I let those I share the mix with know to keep it in their fridge.

I don’t always have wheat germ or oat bran in the house, and I’ve replaced these items with other things very successfully.  Last batch I made had flax seed powder and Malt O Meal and tasted awesome.  You can even mix in raisins, dried blueberries or any other dried fruit.  Or add fresh fruit when you mix in the wet ingredients.

Mmm.  Gotta love a hot waffle!  I like mine best with sugar free jam and whipped cream.  Littlest and Middlest prefer butter and powder sugar.  Oldest likes maple syrup.  How do you eat your waffles?

No comments:

Post a Comment