“Since hunger is the most primitive and permanent of human wants, men always want to eat, but since their wish not to be a mere animal is also profound, they have always attended with special care to the manners which conceal the fact that at the table we are animals feeding.” - John Erskine

26 December 2011

homemade chinese


Well, sorta homemade.  I was really in the mood for Chinese, so I decided to give this recipe a try.  I don’t know if Benihana counts as Chinese ~ aren’t they mainly Japanese food? ~ but hey, you have to use what you have, right?  And no, I have never been to Benihana.  Can you believe that?  I’m really going to have to get there one of these days.  They do still have Benihanas, right?

Benihana Fried Rice
source: copykat.com
1 cup uncooked rice
5 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
2/3 cup chopped scallions
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
5 eggs
5 tablespoons soy sauce
salt
pepper

Cook rice according to package directions.  In a large skillet melt butter.  Add onions, carrots and scallions.  Sauté until carrots are translucent.  Set aside.

Heat oven to 350°.  Place sesame seeds in a shallow pan.  Bake until golden brown (10 to 15 minutes), shaking pan occasionally for even color.

Lightly grease another skillet.  Beat eggs.  Pour into hot skillet.  Cook as you would scrambled eggs.  Combine rice, vegetables, sesame seeds and eggs.  Add soy sauce.  Stir.  Salt and pepper to taste.

I could have sworn I had some sesame seeds around the house somewhere.  I did, but couldn’t find them until about a week after I made this.  Oh well.  I wonder if it would have tasted any better with them?  Yeah, we didn’t like this all that well.  I did swap out the carrots and scallions for onion powder and frozen peas & carrots, but other than that (and the sesame seeds) I really did follow the recipe.  Luckily for me I bought some of these puppies on my last trip to Sam’s.  Mmm!  I’m a sucker for the spring rolls ~ I usually give the kids my entré and just eat the spring rolls, dipped in soy sauce.  I know, I’m weird, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment