“Since hunger is the most primitive and permanent of human wants, men always want to eat, but since their wish not to be a mere animal is also profound, they have always attended with special care to the manners which conceal the fact that at the table we are animals feeding.” - John Erskine

11 September 2011

Cake Mix Snickerdoodles

I’m thinking it’s time for dessert.  I came across this recipe somewhat by accident and the whole family was in the mood for cookies.  I also needed something to bring to a family party so I decided this would be a great idea.  Surely 3½ dozen would be enough to feed some cookie-hungry animals and then still have plenty to take to the party.  Wrong.  I took chips and salsa, since there was no way the cookies I made would have even made it to the party.  They were gone by the time I turned around to grab the camera, so you’ll have to make due with the picture from the website.  On the other hand, they were very simple to make.  Another reason to keep some white cake mix handy.

Cake Mix Snickerdoodles
makes about 3½ dozen cookies
1 package moist white cake mix
½ cup butter, melted
1 egg
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Heat oven to 350° (325° for dark or nonstick cookie sheets).  Mix cake mix, butter and egg in large bowl with spoon until dough forms (some dry mix will remain).

Shape dough into 1-inch balls.  Mix sugar and cinnamon in small bowl.  Roll balls in cinnamon-sugar mixture.  Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set.  Remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.

For Super Snickerdoodles, shape dough into 1½-inch balls and place them 3 inches apart on the cookie sheet; bake 12 to 14 minutes.  You’ll get about 26 large cookies.

They tasted pretty yummy, but didn’t have the “bite” of traditional snickerdoodles, and I had a hard time rolling them in the meager amount of cinnamon sugar they have you make.  (Why yes, yes I did follow the recipe exactly.  What was the matter with me?!?)  While I didn’t have much to throw away I kept having to chase it around the plate.  So next time I make these I think I’ll add a little cream of tartar to the batter, and mix up a little extra cinnamon sugar.  (See, Im ok.  It was just a temporary setback.)
Mmm, snickerdoodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment