“Since hunger is the most primitive and permanent of human wants, men always want to eat, but since their wish not to be a mere animal is also profound, they have always attended with special care to the manners which conceal the fact that at the table we are animals feeding.” - John Erskine

13 September 2011

Shrimp & Rice


Yesterday I finally got back to the gym for the first time in ... well, let’s just say a long time.  It was HARD but I managed to finish the hour long class.  (Aren’t you proud of me?  Can I just say how awesome those ladies are who work so hard to be good, fit teachers and who push inspire us to work harder than we think we can.  Are you feeling it?  Can I get a woot?  Woot!)  Needless to say I was exhausted for the rest of the day (when does that extra energy they promise you for exercising kick in?) and wanted something simple for dinner.  I had some frozen shrimp in my freezer that needed to be used up, and just happened to have a couple of cans of cream of celery soup on hand, so this was it.

Shrimp & Rice
serves 4
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cups long-grain white rice (uncooked)
1 cans cream of celery soup
2 cups water
1 pound frozen, shelled raw shrimp

In a 12” nonstick skillet, heat olive oil on medium 1 minute.  Add onion and red pepper; cook 5 minutes.  Stir in garlic and rice; cook 1 minute.  Add soup and water; heat to boiling.  Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes.  Stir in shrimp; cover and cook 12 minutes or until rice is done, stirring once.

Simple, and it all cooks in one pan.  I’m all for that!  Plus you don’t have to cook the rice separately.  I (of course) didnt use the onion or the pepper so didn’t do the extra cooking and stirring, just dumped some onion powder and garlic in the olive oil with the rice (short grain, sorry; I really don’t like long grain) and stirred for 1 minute.  And the shrimp I had was precooked, so I cooked everything and then put the shrimp in at the end to warm up.

I have to admit this was not my family’s favorite meal, but it was quick and easy and tasted good and everyone ate it.  Since I left out the pepper I will probably add a few more seasonings next time I make it.  I steamed up some veggies in the microwave (I highly recommend getting some of these ~ LOVE them!) and it was a yummy meal.
 I am not going to get into why Im still using my beautiful orange and yellow porcelain paper plates.  Let’s just say that my oldest is still grounded (until Thursday) and leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment