“Since hunger is the most primitive and permanent of human wants, men always want to eat, but since their wish not to be a mere animal is also profound, they have always attended with special care to the manners which conceal the fact that at the table we are animals feeding.” - John Erskine

20 September 2011

Bread Talk Revisited

Guess what, guess what?!?!?!  I made bread!!!!!  Can you believe it?  I made freshly ground whole wheat (kamut even) bread.  And not only did I make bread, but I made perfect bread!  (Well, perfect for me, and pretty darn perfect for anyone who’s asking.)  I made bread that rose (rised?)  I made bread that was soft and luscious.  I made bread with an awesome crumb.  I made bread with nary a bubble.  I made bread!!!!!

Normally I would give you the recipe, but this was bread of the gods, and so only a bread goddess (or a bread rock star) is worthy of this recipe.  I stole it from her anyway, so I’m giving her complete and total credit.  In fact, really the only reason my bread turned out (and the only reason I was willing to try again if truth be told) was because she took the time to help me trouble shoot.  (She totally read my blog, asked questions, read my explanations, and then told me what I was doing wrong and what to do to fix it.  If I haven't said it yet, Stephanie, YOU ROCK!)  So if you want to participate in your own totally amazing bread nirvana, click here and check out Chef Tess Bakeress.  And while you’re there, check out the billion other amazing recipes on there.  And then, if possible, go to a class she’s giving and learn from her live and in person.

LOVE YOU STEPHANIE!

In the meantime, check out my amazingly incredibly awesomely deliciously perfect bread.  And then, if youre in the neighborhood, stop by and try some with my sister-in-laws homemade blackberry jam.  Mmmm, bread heaven!

 No, its not actually perfect.  I do need to work on my loaf technique.

And since my bread doesnt usually like to rise, I put it in the pans and then put something else in the oven to bake.  Imagine my surprise to find that my bread was rising perfectly, and then over-rising, since I couldnt take what was in the oven out.  It rose right out of the pan!  I baked it anyway and refuse to regret it.

2 comments:

  1. This made me cry! I'm sooooo proud of you! YOU did it hun! Go!! Keep going!! Xoxo! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being able to make bread is a wonderful thing, gives you a feeling of accomplishment, and is showing love to your family! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete