“Since hunger is the most primitive and permanent of human wants, men always want to eat, but since their wish not to be a mere animal is also profound, they have always attended with special care to the manners which conceal the fact that at the table we are animals feeding.” - John Erskine

19 September 2011

Flavorful Pot Roast

I’ve been doing A LOT of reading lately.  Three books just this week.  They’ve all been library books, and I feel an obligation to read them fast and get them back so someone else can have them.  That, and  they’ve been all been great books so I haven’t wanted to put them down.

It all started with this one.  I read about it on someone’s blog and decided it sounded interesting.  It was hard for me to get started on it, hard for me to stay with it, (I really hate when stories jump around in the timeline) but by the end I was so glad I picked it up!

Anyway, because I’ve had my nose in a book for so long, I wanted something that pretty much cooks itself.  My husband requested pot roast, so I pulled out my tried and true recipe.  Really, finding this recipe was like falling in love.  It was the right one for me and I just haven’t wanted to look at another roast recipe since.  I’m just not interested.  I even use this recipe to cook chicken, and yes, Thanksgiving turkey.  The juice makes amazing gravy, although you don’t really have to bother, the juice works almost as well ~ just a little runnier.  Oh yeah, I’ve also made this in the oven, slow cooked on low heat.  Mmm!  And since it’s my own (stolen borrowed) recipe there are no changes to be made.  Strait forward and simple.  And no pictures either.  It was gone before I even thought to take one.  (I really have to work on that...)

Flavorful Pot Roast
2½ pounds beef chuck roast
1 envelope dry ranch salad dressing mix
1 envelope dry Italian salad dressing mix
1 envelope brown gravy mix
½ cup water

Place the roast(s) in slow cooker.

In a small bowl combine the salad dressing and gravy mixes; stir in water.  Pour over meat.

Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until tender.  If desired, thicken cooking juices for gravy. 

You can dump potatoes and carrots (even
~ gasp! ~ an onion or two) into the crock to cook in the juice with the meat if you’d like.  You can double, triple, quadruple (you get the picture) the recipe with great results.  Perfect for Sunday dinner.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment