“Since hunger is the most primitive and permanent of human wants, men always want to eat, but since their wish not to be a mere animal is also profound, they have always attended with special care to the manners which conceal the fact that at the table we are animals feeding.” - John Erskine

19 January 2012

cheese crescent triangles

That's frost on the strawberries, not sugar.  They were frozen.  Just saying...  Don't they look pretty on a nest of vanilla yogurt?

A fierce cold from the nether regions has infiltrated our family unit and is wreaking havoc even as we speak.  I have been so busy on my quest for a magic book or spell that would dispatch this evil back to the realms from which it came that I completely forgot all about blogging.  (I.E. I haven’t been on in a while because I’ve been nursing an ugly cold.)  But despite my lack of interest in much of anything except the new episodes of shows I’ve missed since Christmas break and the inside of my eyelids, I DID pull myself together long enough to make Sunday breakfast.  Are you impressed.  Ok, these were relatively easy ~ appetizers that I thought might make an interesting breakfast ~ so you might not be that impressed, but if we’re basing things on how I felt while I was making them, you really should be impressed!
I blame the cold-induced mindlessness on the misshapen triangles and the crusty cheese.  Yeah, that's it.  The cold-induced mindlessness.
Cheese Crescent Triangles
makes 24
4 ounces tomato-basil feta cheese, finely crumbled (1 cup)
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions (2 medium)
1 egg, well beaten
1 can (8 oz.) refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 375°.  In small bowl, mix feta cheese, green onions and 3 tablespoons of the beaten egg.

Unroll dough; separate into 4 rectangles.  Press perforations to seal.  Press each rectangle into 7½x5” rectangle.  Cut rectangle into 3 rows by 2 rows to make 6 (2½”) squares.  Top each dough square with slightly rounded measuring teaspoon feta cheese mixture.  Fold dough over filling, forming triangle; press edges to seal.

On ungreased cookie sheets, place triangles 2 inches apart.  Repeat with remaining 3 dough rectangles and feta cheese mixture.

Brush tops with remaining beaten egg.  Sprinkle lightly with Parmesan cheese.  Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve warm.

These were quick and easy, and great for a Sunday morning breakfast... except they tasted a little more bitter than I was going for.  It could be that this cold has put my taster off ~ I have noticed things smelling and tasting a little different than I expect them to.  And, of course, I used onion powder instead of green onions, but I did everything else strictly by the book. (By the recipe book, hehe.)  I found some tomato-basil feta at Smith’s in the deli cheese section (cant find a picture tho), had some of these on hand, and replaced the parmesan with this.  Other than those minor changes (ok, ok, I changed everything but the egg!) I stuck to the recipe.  Not sure what the bitter was about, but I think if I ever make these again I’m going to try mozzarella instead of feta...

Oldest really liked them, Middlest left his on his plate (he had already eaten a Pop-Tart) and Littlest stuck to the berries.  My husband wasn’t too enthusiastic either.  He said he’d eat them if I made them (which he did) but they’re not something he would request.

No comments:

Post a Comment