“Since hunger is the most primitive and permanent of human wants, men always want to eat, but since their wish not to be a mere animal is also profound, they have always attended with special care to the manners which conceal the fact that at the table we are animals feeding.” - John Erskine

11 February 2012

healthy baked chicken nuggets

I’m not quite sure what makes these chicken nuggets healthier than others.  They seem to have the same ingredients.  Maybe spraying the oil on top?  Whatever the reason, these are really quite yummy and I highly recommend trying this recipe.  I didnt actually do nuggets ~ I made mine from frozen chicken tenders, and they turned out moist and yummy.  I decided to make it into an easy chicken parmesan: I took the baked chicken out of the oven and turned it off, put a piece of parm on each piece of chicken and stuck it back in the cooling oven for about 5 minutes until the cheese melted.  Then you just add noodles and pour on some marinara and voilà.  The whole family really really liked it, and it didn’t take much time to make.  (Always a bonus for mom!)

Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets 
serves 8
source: skinny taste 
32 ounces skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into even bite sized pieces
salt and pepper to taste
4 teaspoons olive oil
12 tablespoons whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
4 tablespoons panko
4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
olive oil spray

Preheat oven to 425°.  Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray.

Put the olive oil in one bowl and the breadcrumbs, panko and parmesan cheese in another.

Season chicken with salt and pepper, then put in the bowl with the olive oil and mix well so the olive oil evenly coats all of the chicken.

Put a few chunks of chicken at a time into the breadcrumb mixture to coat, then on the baking sheet.  Lightly spray the top with olive oil spray then bake 8-10 minutes.  Turn over then cook another 4-5 minutes or until cooked though.

I didn’t have any Italian bread crumbs, so I crumbled some whole wheat Ritz crackers with my fingers into my mini food chopper until I had about ¾ of a cup (12 tablespoons).  I tossed in the parmesan and 1½ teaspoons of Chef Tess Romantic Italian Seasoning (or use ¾ teaspoon dried basil and ¾ teaspoon dried oregano) and “processed” everything until the spices and cheese were blended and the crackers were nice and crumbly.  Mmm, homemade Italian “bread” crumbs.  I didn’t have any Panko either, but I had some of this and it seemed to do the trick.  I actually saw some Panko in the Asian section at Wal-Mart later, and I think it would probably make the coating a little more crunchy, but no one seemed to mind the lack of crunch at my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment