“Since hunger is the most primitive and permanent of human wants, men always want to eat, but since their wish not to be a mere animal is also profound, they have always attended with special care to the manners which conceal the fact that at the table we are animals feeding.” - John Erskine

17 October 2012

corn chow-dah

One of my favorite “fall” pictures ~ Oldest at his aunt’s pumpkin patch ~ and not just because it’s punny.
Mmm, fall.  Don’t you just love fall?  The cooler weather, the beautiful colors, the rain, kids back in school... Did I mention the cooler weather?  And what is better when the weather cools down than a lovely soup that cooks itself in the crock pot?  Ok, maybe a lovely crock soup with a fresh batch of rolls, but I didn’t get around to those.  Still, I didn’t hear anyone complaining.  Oldest’s yummy sounds were too loud to hear over.  (Ok, I must share this, even though it was almost a complaint, because it was so cute.  The rule in our house is that you don't have to eat what mom makes for dinner, but you DO have to taste it before you decide.  And you don’t get anything else.  Yep, I’m mean that way.  So we finally got Littlest to taste the chowder and he says that it’s good enough... just not good enough to eat.  Sigh.  Can’t please ‘em all I guess.)

I saw this recipe for corn chowder (I can’t help it, I always want to say it the Bostonian way: CHOW- dah) on Pinterest and knew that I had to make it right away.  Luckily for me I had some Southern hash browns waiting patiently in the freezer as there was no way I was going to be able to peel and cube potatoes in time, let alone make those delicious rolls from scratch that I had envisioned.  It was Sunday morning and in the rush to get everyone dressed, combed and shod in something other than flip flops I was lucky all I had to to make my chowder (chow-dah) do was dump a few things in the crock pot and remember to plug it in.  And after a lovely meeting we all came home to a delicious hot meal.  Mmm, chow-dah.
By the time I got around to taking a picture, this is all that was left.
M’s Version of Nicole’s Corn Chowder
adapted from crockingirls.com
serves about 12
2 pounds frozen Southern hash browns or potatoes of choice, peeled and diced
2 cans creamed corn and 2 cans whole kernel corn or 4 cans whole kernel corn and ½ cup heavy whipping cream
4 cups chicken broth
1 pound diced ham (I used one of these)
1 tablespoon onion powder or 2 cups diced onions
½ (1 cube) cup butter
4 cups half and half or 2 cups milk, 2 cups heavy whipping cream

Place potatoes, both cans of corn, chicken broth, ham, and onions into the slow cooker.  Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high 4-5 hours.

Mash the mixture to your desired consistency (I didn’t have to do this, as my potatoes had pretty much disintegrated by the time the soup had cooked) and then add the butter and half and half.  Cook for an additional 30 minutes on high.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment