“Since hunger is the most primitive and permanent of human wants, men always want to eat, but since their wish not to be a mere animal is also profound, they have always attended with special care to the manners which conceal the fact that at the table we are animals feeding.” - John Erskine

29 October 2011

bruschetta

Mmm, love those little bits of basil.
 I can’t quite remember when I first discovered how much I love bruschetta, but it hasn’t been all that long ago.  I was shopping at Sam’s Club and noticed a large (ish, but definitely not large enough for me) plastic jar of bruschetta in with the Italian cheeses.  (I tried to find a link, but apparently Sam’s doesn’t have it on their website, although it’s still offered in the store.)  I thought it was a type of salsa at first, but was quite pleased to find that onions and peppers were not on the list of ingredients.  I was intrigued, so I decided to bring it home and try it out.  It was love at first taste.

Not long after that I got a flier of recipes from church that had been tried out at a relief society meeting that I wasn’t able to attend.  Among the recipes was one for bruschetta.  I was excited at the prospect of saving a bit of money making the stuff myself.  I still haven’t found a recipe that I like as well as the stuff I can buy at Sam’s, but this one comes pretty close.  Can’t remember where I found it, and I’ve made a few adaptations, so I guess it’s my recipe now.
Tortilla chips?  Yep, that's right, tortilla chips.
Bruschetta
 6 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped (we don’t stick with just romas, but thow any kind of tomato we can get in there ~ but stick with romas if you don’t like your bruschetta too juicy)
3 cloves minced garlic
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (the original recipe called for balsamic, but we like it better with red wine)
¼ cup fresh basil, stems removed
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup parmesan cheese (optional) (we use this) 

In a large bowl, combine the garlic, olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper, and cheese if using.  Place tomatoes and basil leaves in a food processor and process to desired consistency.  Alternately, chop tomatoes into small cubes.  Chop basil finely.  Stir into garlic mixture.  Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes before using.

Most people then spread the bruschetta on Italian bread toasted under the broiler, either with or without a little mozzarella or parmesan.  You can even use it as salad dressing.  We’re kind of weird around here and like to eat it with a little cheddar cheese and tortilla chips.  (My faves have to be these.  Mmm.)  Whatever way you like it, I hope you enjoy!  (Oldest sure did.)

No comments:

Post a Comment