“Since hunger is the most primitive and permanent of human wants, men always want to eat, but since their wish not to be a mere animal is also profound, they have always attended with special care to the manners which conceal the fact that at the table we are animals feeding.” - John Erskine

06 October 2011

Italian Crescent Casserole

Last night was one of those quick-meal nights that happen way too often around here.  It was a bit of a crazy day ~ two parent teacher conferences, car pool, piano lessons, scouts... you get the picture.  So I was in need of something quick and easy.  Luckily I had a pound of ground beef and some leftovers in the refrigerator.  The kids wanted leftovers, so I only had to cook for my husband and myself.  Pillsbury to the rescue!

Italian Crescent Casserole
serves 6
1 pound ground beef, cooked, drained
1 cup basil and garlic tomato pasta sauce
1 can (8 oz) refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1½ cups shredded Italian cheese blend
¼ teaspoon dried basil leaves

In 10-inch skillet, mix beef and pasta sauce.  Heat to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.

Separate dough into 8 triangles.  Place dough in ungreased 9-inch glass pie plate in spoke pattern, with narrow tips overlapping rim of plate about 3 inches.  Press dough in side and bottom to form crust; sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese.

Spoon meat mixture evenly over cheese.  Bring tips of dough over filling to meet in center; do not overlap.  Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese and the basil. 

Bake at 375°F 15 to 20 minutes.

I didn’t have any basil and garlic tomato pasta sauce, so I just used this.  It’s my husband’s favorite anyway.  I also wasn’t that great at figuring out where to start the crescents in the empty dish, so my “pie” didn’t look pretty ~ had to break pieces of dough off so as not to overlap.  Still, this tasted really yummy, was quick and satisfying.  I don’t have the kids’ opinions on this one, but it’s definitely one of my husband’s faves.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment